Wednesday, May 19, 2010

3SIXTY5 #42 for May 18, 2010: Philosophical Elephant

I decided to do some lettering on this piece, so looked online for quotes about elephants. This one, by British novelist Terry Pratchett (aka Sir Terence Pratchett) reads: "When millions of tons of angry elephants come spinning through the sky, does it--philosophically speaking--make a noise?"  It is a lovely bit of blather--I love the image of those millions of spinning elephants in the sky! I am unfamiliar with Pratchett's books, I shall have to read some of his work. Seems like he must have a neat sense of humor!

In rushing to complete this piece, it appears I glued things down a little awry from how they were laid out--the vertical elements behind the elephant seem a bit askew, and his trunk is bumping into the border. *sigh* The hazards of collage.  Many of the elements are print-outs, I could redo the entire piece. Ha! like that's going to happen any time soon!

Edward Gorey named his house in Yarmouthport, MA, "Elephant House" and collected items that he felt resembled elephants. One of my eventual goals is to visit it, now known as Edward Gorey House and converted into a museum of his work and life. But not this year!

1 comment:

  1. I like that you're including some of your lettering now.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...