Saturday, July 3, 2010

3SIXTY5 for July 1, 2010: Steampunk Diva


 
The first time I encountered it, I felt an affinity for Steampunk. Heck, I was raised on it. Most of the family males for a couple of generations worked in Pittsburgh's various mills and factories. When I visited my cousins in North Versailles, usually on Friday evenings, we'd climb to one of the higher streets and watch the light show from the steel mill in nearby McKeesport. Hissing steam, flying sparks, thundering clamours (and, often, sulfurous fumes) from various sources were a regular feature of my girlhood. On a more intimate note, some of my favorite childhood memories come from accompanying my Grandfather into the cellar, to observe and sometimes assist when he stoked the coal-burning furnace that heated our house. It was a thrill when he opened the door to the fire chamber, a glowing maw into which I tossed newspapers and odd pieces of old wood, while my Grandfather shoveled in the coal. To me it was a domesticated version of the huge, dangerous, noisy, legendary mills that were the life blood of every town strung along the Monongahela River. 

This piece was inspired by Three Muses "Steampunk" theme for this week. Thanks for the inspiration!

11 comments:

  1. oh this is sooooooooo cool love it love it love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant piece of steampunk art!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow this is perfect.
    Stunning art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading about your childhood with the mills and factories and your grandfather's coal burning stove and it seems your memories of sparks and steam have truly influenced your art with your wonderful steampunk diva. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant steampunk, Diane, what an amazing art project you've ventured into, too, great pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is "punkulous" a word like fabulous only better! Wow, Diane punkulous it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's one beautiful steampunk lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...and thank you for the vignettes of your childhood. Isn't it fun the way some of the challenges trigger special memories? Your steampunk lady is great fun too. She's very well constructed! Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane, your blog is such a joy to visit, not just for its great art but for your thoughts on - well - just about everything!! I love your steampunk lady who definitely has attitude when she is getting rid of some steam. Thanks so much for being part of the challenge this week. Hope to see you back often if not every week!!
    Sounds like you are having problems similar to mine when commenting on the blog. I don't know why some bloggers have them and some don't. Mine are when the blog pages freeze up on me. I might have just finished typing a comment and it won't send and all I can do is exit Blogland and wait a few minutes to try again. It is very annoying and very time consuming.
    Cheers from Marie aka Ozstuff in chilly and wintry south-western Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a wonderful piece, Diane, and I can see why with all that inspiration behind it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...