Saturday, August 21, 2010

August 19, 2010: D

D is my initial, and I must say I like it. It's always seemed like a friendly letter to me, perhaps because of its girth, and its generous, safely enclosed counter (in calligraphy, the counter is the shape created by the enclosing boundaries of a letter; it occurs in all of them except narrow uprights like f, i, j, l, r, t, though the capitals of some of these do have counters-such as R.) D also stands for Door, as in the one in the collage. I've always loved doors, not only for their metaphoric charge, but also for their status as protectors, and simply for their beauty. Doors represent such a wonderful concept--a piece of the wall that opens to admit you, then closes to keep out intruders, noise, weather, etc. Usually they are objects of beauty, ornamented with engraved or stained glass, lovely hardware, gorgeously finished wood. Here's to doors, small and tall, recent or ancient, plain or ornate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...