Sunday, June 20, 2010

3SIXTY5 for June 18, 2010: 44 cent Thoroughbred

I thought is was so cool that the post office chose to do a stamp honoring the great racehorse, Seabiscuit. The large horse image is not, alas, Seabiscuit himself. What was I thinking? At any rate, here he is:


If you've never read Laura Hillenbrand's book, Seabiscuit:  An American Legend, you don't know what you're missing. It is far more than a book about horse racing. It is a beautifully written documentation of the America of that era, one of those books that puts you right there. I highly recommend it. 

I have literally hundreds of canceled Seabiscuit stamps, which came from the responses to a research survey conducted by one of the doctors I work for. Every day when I'd put stacks of Seabiscuited envelopes on her desk, I'd be thinking that here must be fodder for art making! So I expect there'll be more Seabiscuit art appearing on this blog in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I had to laugh, thinking about you lusting after the cancelled stamps. When we used to receive the association dues by mail, I was always first in line to get the international envelopes. Sometimes a cancelled stamp is just what a piece needs.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...