Monday, July 19, 2010

3SIXTY5 for July 19: Pomegranate and Snake

Today is the last day of my daughter's and son-in-law's visit to Pittsburgh. Happily, I finished today's collage relatively quickly, so I have the evening free to spend with them and my son. I've noticed that when I want to work out a particular idea, I can easily spend hours on a collage. On the other hand, if I have no preconceived pictorial notion, and just start combining whatever elements are handy, I can complete a piece much more quickly, although the final result can seem fairly arbitrary. Given that the odds and ends drifting across my work area are remnants from what I chose for previous pieces, the result still reflects my visual interests. In this case, marbled paper, which I love; snakes, which are wonderfully decorative, if off-putting to some people; and pomegranates, which always seem "exotic" to me. Maybe this is because in my childhood, you never saw them for sale except during the winter holidays. Pomegranates were for Christmas, thus intrinsically special. Snakes were elusive, thus also rare. The snake in the picture is from Guadalupe, according to the caption in the Seba's Snakes and Lizards (from Dover, of course) so I know I never saw one, but he certainly makes a striking pattern of loops and stripes. Thank you for looking!

1 comment:

  1. Love these colors! In fact, I really like the entire piece. That black and white in the middle is what does it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...